ARTICLE I: The Name
The association shall be called Abua Odual USA., hereafter, referred to as the Association
ARTICLE II: The goals of the Association
- To create a forum for the discussion and implementation
of actions to advance and develop the Abua and Odual
- To develop role-models and speakers that may:
a. Inspire and motivate the Abua Odual citizens.
b. Educate the community on socio-political issues.
c. Teach them negotiation and collective bargaining
- To bring together the Abua Odual in the Americas on
a periodic basis for the purpose of cultural development
ARTICLE III: Officers
- Shall represent Abua Odual USA,
the Association, on all matters.
- Shall show exemplary leadership qualities.
- Shall be elected by a simple majority
- Shall present themselves as servants of the
association rather than masters thereof.
- Shall be the curators of the Association's official documents.
- The executive council consists of the President, Vice-President, Treasurer/Financial Secreatary,
and the Secretary and they shall make decisions on behalf of the Association.
ARTICLE IV: President
- Must be an Abuan or an Odual.
- Shall preside over meetings.
- Shall have power to convene meetings.
- Shall be a signatory to official and financial documents.
- Shall have the authority to assemble an ad-hoc committee as needed in consultation with the executive council.
ARTICLE V: Vice President
- Shall preside over meetings in the absence of the President.
- May be the chairperson of all committees.
- May be a signatory to all financial documents.
ARTICLE VI: Treasurer/Financial Secretary
- Shall collect monies.
- Shall record and maintain financial transactions.
- Shall give financial reports.
- Shall be a signatory to all financial documents.
ARTICLE VII: Secretary
- Shall preside over meetings in the absence of the President or the Vice President.
- Shall record minutes during meetings.
- Shall read the minutes of the previous meeting.
- Shall be the vehicle for the dissemination of information.
- Shall be the organizer of social events.
ARTICLE VIII: Standing Committees
- There shall be standing committees to work with the elected executive council and the committees shall be:
ARTICLE IX: Term Limits
- The President and Vice President shall be elected for a term of 2 years each and shall not hold office for more than two consecutive terms.
- The Secretary and Treasurer/Financial Secretary shall be elected for a term of 3 years each and shall not hold office for more than two consecutive terms.
ARTICLE X: Membership Requirement
- Any Abuan Odual aged 18 years and above.
- An adult is a person who is at least 18 years old.
- Any adult interested in the development of Abua Odual.
ARTICLE XI: Membership Definition
2. Family Membership
- An Individual Member is an adult who continues to pay his/her dues.
- A Family Member includes a husband, wife, and unmarried children under the age of 21 years or
Head of a household that continues to pay their dues.
- Head of Household is a single parent with
ARTICLE XII: Registration & Membership Dues
There shall be a one time registration fee of $25 for all membership classes. An individual member shall be levied the sum of $50 per 12 month calendar year and a family member shall be levied a sum of $75 per 12 month calendar year. The dues may be paid once or twice during the calendar year.
ARTICLE XIII: Membership Privileges
a. Entitles you to attend and participate in discussions
during meetings and social gatherings.
b. Has Voting Rights - vote and be voted for, on issues.
c. All family membership members are entitled to vote
individually provided the person voting is at least
18 years old.
d. A member can stand proxy for the Association.
e. A member can seek assistance from the Association
f . A member can canvass for an office in the months
preceding an election.
ARTICLE XIV: Membership Separation
A member who decides to sever relations with the Association voluntarily or involuntarily shall have no cause for remedy or refund of dues and fees previously paid.
ARTICLE XV: Auditing of Financial Records
The financial records of the Association shall be audited once every 12 calendar months. The auditors may be internal or external to the Association and must have a certified accountant as one of its member.
ARTICLE XVI: Frequency of Meetings
The President must call at least one social meeting within a 12-month calendar year.
The President must call a meeting to align itself with the parent Rivers State Foundation. This means the meeting must be called to coincide with the Foundation's meeting date and location.
ARTICLE XVII: Quorum
An Association gathering shall be deemed a quorum when there are enough members gathered, or by proxy, such that there is a simple majority on voting matters as long as the gathering was adequately publicized prior.
ARTICLE XVIII: Amendments of Bylaws
The Bylaws may be amended by a simple majority and the Amendments must have been submitted to the membership 1 month prior to the meeting.